I just spent the last two hours salivating over the Seamester, and Semester at Sea websites.

I am going to do them. I have to. They are way too amazing to pass up.

So, how am I going to fit ALL of these opportunities into my undergrad?
Well... next year I will probably take INS and stay at Evergreen all year, working, studying, working, saving.
And then banking on how much money I manage to make, I will use the next year to do a Semester at Sea, and then a Sea|mester (or, more realistically, one or the other). Then I will maybe take some time off school to work, work, work, to pay back loans on the trip, or whatever.
I won't graduate after 4 years, but instead I will take another year at Evergreen doing upper division science.
Then finally, I graduate with my BA and BS, will have traveled much of the world, and will be ready for whatever lies in that great abyss that is the-world-after-school (more school? more travel? work? *cringes* ...marriage? *laughs*).
Well, in any case, here's the scoop:

Sea|mester... you live on the boat, learn on the boat (a tall ship), sail the boat ect. You can study oceanography, or marine biology, get any level of scuba certification you are on, and get a sailing (yahting) certification also.
Credit. Experience sailing. Experience diving. Traveling to different countries. Getting an education. Sounds damn good to me. All things that are good, in one amazing, relatively cheap program.
40 day trips are about $8,000
90 day trips can be over to $20,000

Semester at Sea... you live on the boat (a reimagined cruise ship) while you travel, and get a classroom education with all the university ammenities. When you stop at certain ports, you can get off the boat and do independent/group studies based on your major and the country you are in.
These trips are over 100 days, and range from $20,000 to $40,000.
There is more time at port in this program, compared to Sea|mester, which is what I like so much about it, and each "cruise" stops at about 10 different ports throughout the 4 months you are at sea.


I'm in dream-land right now. I even considered not going to Peru this Spring so I can save more money for these trips. However... I also don't see a reason why Peru can't happen in addition to my sea excursions. And I don't actually think I would give up Peru... BUT if for some reason my travel application for Peru isnt accepted, it is nice that I have other incredible opportunities to look forward to.

Gahh...
its 3 am.

I should sleep.
My writing center retreat starts tomorrow. 3 hours of writing and tudoring stuff! and almost 10 more hours in the two following days. I am really excited though, except kinda nervous.
I am sooooo glad I got this internship though! YAY YAY YAY!
(I just wish I was making money this quarter... I obviously have a lot of saving to do).

now bed calls my name,
and so...
goodnight.