Oh, today was my first day of my annual week at Summer Winds Day Camp. One of the campers that I had last year told me he remembered me. He said it as an after thought because I earlier I had told him that I remembered him and asked if he remembered me and he feinted the question. So later when he comes up to me and says "I do remember you from last year" I wondered what it took for him to remember. He continued by saying "You were a lot more shallow last year." I kinda gaped at that statement, only because it was coming from a 6 year-old and I wondered if the word had the same meaning in his mind as it does in mine. "Shallow?" I asked. He responded with a face of extreme exhaustion and sadness. "You're much perkier now."

I thought it was crazy that my change in demeanor was so apparent to someone who had only known me for a week a year ago, and who had not even seen me for a day since then before commenting on it.

Maybe I was just a bit less energetic, and burnt out on kids last summer, but the comment was really interesting to me all the same. Especially since the week I worked at SW last summer was one of the most optimistic weeks of my life up to that point (having just spent an amazing 9 weeks at Killoqua).

Speaking of Killoqua, I got a call from the office today and the message was Daisy saying they needed some help for the last week of camp, next week. Timing never fails to amaze me. Its either go spend a week at a camp that I completely adore with but will possibly never spend another full summer at again --now that I've found NYSC--
OR go sailing all over the San Juan Islands with my parents. Decisions, decisions.

And dinner.